Monday 24 January 2011

Black Kite Bonanza

Red-throated Pipit
Ratchaburi 24.01.11

On arrival home this afternoon after school I was delighted to see Mummy Scaly-breasted Munia and Baby out of the nest and Mummy teaching Baby how to fly. I do not know about Baby 2 but there wasn't any sign of it; maybe in the nest. Upstairs in the veranda the Red-collared Dove according to our housekeeper is sitting on two eggs: I don't know how she knows this but that's what she says!

Black Kite
Ratchaburi 24.01.11 

Encouraged by this activity I headed round to the rice paddy and a few moments later I was attracted by an unusual shape perched on a pole in a field. I wondered if this might be a Common Kestrel so had a look and in fact it turned out to be nothing more than a strangely shaped piece of wood! However I was immediately struck by the sight of two large birds cavorting mid-air and a few seconds later I knew these were Black Kites and a closer look revealed a further 3 kites on the ground and this fellow perched on a pole, making six kites in total.

 Black Kite
Ratchaburi 24.01.11 
I did something quite clever by my standards! I was still far enough away so I got set up and then drove into the rice paddy and got behind the setting sun with the bird in front of me. I managed to use my truck for cover and managed to click away from about 60 metres. I have to say I am pleased with the results. These kites are pretty common in the locale but I never tire of them.

Black Kite
Ratchaburi 24.01.11 

I know nothing about the rice cultivation cycle but in recent weeks the rice has been harvested, the remnants eaten up by ducks, the remaining stalks have been burned, and now the soil has been tilled and in some places watered prior to replanting. It is therefore a feeding bonanza for birds and in among the hundred of cattle egrets, intermediate egrets and other birds was a small flock of Red-throated Pipits, 5 or 6 birds. Alas the sun had set and it was pretty gloomy so my photographs are poor. However common these Pipits may be they were lifers for me. In the same part of the paddy there was a lot of Wood Sandpiper, a few Common Sandpiper and a Spotted Redshank; I don't recall seeing a Redshank before in the local area. 

So not a bid hour after work!

No comments:

Post a Comment