Sunday 9 January 2011

Some Notes

Purple Heron
Bang Tung Jak
Phetchaburi 9.01.11

My wife, my son and I took a trip down memory or rather "Drongo" Lane today, Sunday 9th January 2011, just off the Phetchkasem Highway to the north of Phetchaburi town.  This is where we went birding for the first time in Thailand two years ago, probably to the day. I think we saw and recognised a lot more species today than we did back then but there will still 3 unidentified little brown jobs and these were not obvious species either! But I saw a Yellow Bittern flash past and hide itself in the marshes and I knew what the bird was immediately and I guess that is the indicator of progress over these last two years.

I like the picture of the Purple Heron, a digiscoped image . I was so lucky just to capture the shots as this is a very delicate and shy bird and usually takes off at the slightest disturbance. I managed to take up position with cover from some reeds and was able to get a few decent shots dodging the reeds which were partially blocking my view. I am sure I wouldn't have seen the bird two years ago and I wouldn't have been able to get the image 4 months ago. Progress on all fronts!
Common Snipe
Bang Tung Jak
Phetchaburi 9.01.11


There was no sign of Himalayan Griffons or Cinereous Vultures at Wat Norng Blah Lai but there were Imperial, Steppe, Greater Spotted and Booted Eagles. 

At home in our postage stamp front garden we have a Scaly-breasted Munia nest in the Pomegranate Tree and the Tree Sparrows are desperately trying to get into it; we had a female Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker in the tree yesterday. Upstairs in our balcony we have a Red-collared Dove building a nest. Maybe I should stay home! Must rig a camera up and watch this develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment