Sunday 20 May 2012

Huay Mai Teng Reservoir: River Lapwing Back

Diplacodes trivialis
แมลงปอบ้านคู่สีเขียวฟ้า
แมลงปอบ้านฟ้าเขียว
Thanks to Sebastien of Vietnam Bird News for the identification

At approximately 06:00h this morning, after a lovely drive from home with the sky behind me ablaze with the rising sun, I observed a first River Lapwing of the year at Huay Mai Teng reservoir in Ratchaburi province. It was at the main staging area. I didn't attempt to get close, in fact I took the camera off the scope and simply enjoyed the view of the new arrival.  About an hour later I observed three River Lapwing, from a distance, on the southern side of the reservoir. In addition I am delighted to report at least 20 Small Pratincoles at the staging area. I think these birds have taken advantage of the greater amount of  habitat available to them  in view of the water level at the reservoir being at its lowest for over two years. Such is the low level of the water that it is possible to make a circular drive around the reservoir which hasn't been possible at any time during the last two years.

Crocothemis servilia
แมลงปอบ้านบ่อ
แมลงปอบ้านแดงเหลืองใหญ่
Thanks to Sebastien of Vietnam Bird News for the identification

Clearly the River Lapwing has a very strong time clock hard wired into it. I recorded it here last year on 21st May 2011, and in 2010 I observed it first in July, when it was a "lifer" and a very exciting moment as I had headed to the site simply on the basis of seeing a large area of water on a map and thinking that there must be birds here. Even if in each of the last two years the lapwing has arrived a few days before my first sighting of it I am still staggered by its reappearance at virtually the exact same time. How does it manage to do this? In fact I have so many questions: where has it come from and where will it go? Its range can be seen from this IUCN  map. I also know that this species' conservation status is under review and that it may change from "Least Concern" to "Near Threatened". From what I understand it has traditionally bred on the banks of the Mekong River, Thailand's northern border; this habitat has been under considerable threat over the last 10 years. More information can be gleaned from this article at BirdLife International.

There has been a lot of rain however in the reservoir area. The road which runs across the reservoir on the west side had a small stretch that was partially submerged though still passable; last weekend it was completely clear. The rain however has left the Rain Quail feeding area submerged and today was the first occasion over the last few months when I haven't observed any. They appear to prefer dry scrub. I am sure they are still be around.

Diplacodes trivialis
แมลงปอบ้านคู่สีเขียวฟ้า
แมลงปอบ้านฟ้าเขียว
Thanks to Sebastien of Vietnam Bird News for the identification

A pair of Greater Painted Snipe made a pleasant spectacle. I also sighted 3 Barred Buttonquail, a number of Indochinese Bushlarks, and lots of noisy cisticolas. There were also good numbers of Cotton Pygmy-Goose on the water - I don't recall this species being here before in such significant numbers especially at this time of the year. In the distance I could hear the distinctive rasping call of a Chinese Francolin.

I didn't take any photographs of birds today. I couldn't get close enough but I did take some shots of dragonflies which I rather like and would welcome identifications. I think my recent trip to Mae Wong has dampened my enthusiasm for photographing birds unless I am going to be able to get in close!

Same last weekend when I made a brief visit on Saturday afternoon to Wat Khao Look Chang in Phetchburi province. The sought after Black-headed Woodpecker dipped......again! A Spotted Owlet did oblige but it wasn't posing. I was a real clut and couldn't  manage to shoot birds so I ended up concentrating on butterflies.

I am extremely busy at school right now. The new academic year began last week. So birding has to play second fiddle for the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gerry,

    Odonata ID : the blue one : Diplacodes trivialis.
    The red one : Crocothemis servilia,
    both very common pond species.

    Cheers,
    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sebastien much appreciated. I don't mind that they are very common, they are exquisitely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete