Sunday 13 May 2012

Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden, Chiang Mai


We had a family trip to Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden ("QSBG") Saturday 5th May 2012 and I have to say I recommend it highly to birders and non-birders alike. The garden is situated in Mae Sa, in Mae Rim District, about 27 km northwest of downtown Chiang Mai. It probably warrants a full day. Birding and logistcal information can be found here.


In terms of birds we didn't see a lot though I did note four species of sunbirds, including Purple-naped, and there were loads of Pied Stonechat, Sooty-headed Bulbuls and Red-whiskered Bulbuls. We also had a Shikra circling around us.


With small kids we only managed the afternoon. I really enjoyed strolling through the greenhouses. It wasa  bit hot and wet for strolling around trails. This is a site I will return to perhaps in the "winter" months when there is likely to be a lot more bird and plant activity. QSBG would make an ideal day trip for a party of birders and non-birders based in Chiang Mai and I rather fancy the Botanic Resort opposite the main QSBG entrance may be a cool place to stay, but probably at a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment