Saturday 4 September 2010

Huay Mai Teng Reservoir, Ratchaburi

River lapwing
vanellus duvaucelli
นกกระแตหาด
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
Ratchaburi Province
04.09.10

This reservoir never fails to deliver. Today an afternoon jaunt essentially to practise with my digiscoping rig threw up 7 river lapwings. These fellows won't be around for much longer as they come here to breed along with oriental pratanicoles of which there were many. I was also hoping to see rain quail but not today.

Peaceful dove
geopilia striata
นกเขาชวา

Digiscoping is most assuredly not point and shoot. I am still struggling with focus and composition but I am clearly improving. So I took advantage of shooting this dove which was much more obliging than the  lapwings. Good for practise!



I have to publish this picture of a dragon fly. Later in the afternoon I was relaxing in my chair by a pond when I decided to take a look at a dragonfly with my bins. I am glad I did. This fellow was close to me and was very obliging. I have to say I am very pleased with this. There is hope!

There were some great birds about today. I saw some bronze-winged jacanas, a yellow bittern, two pied kingfishers, and all the usual suspects. 

Here is a beautiful flower I captured with my 60 mm macro lens. I guess it is some sort of water lily.


Here are a couple of my bloopers, a bronze-winged jacana and a yellow bittern.




Both were shot late in the afternoon, in the final hour of daylight and the bittern was an attempt to get a light reading but of course the bird flew once I had my reading!!! The jacana was a fair distance away. 

There you have it, a real joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment