Thursday 17 March 2011

Digiscoping News


An unseasonable and unexpected blast of cold air and rain has  made Thailand remarkably cool these last few days. 17℃, which was the temperature at lunchtime today is at least half the normal temperature. No sun and rain today that was reminiscent of childhood summer holidays in the East Neuk of Fife.

So I took the rig out later in the afternoon with one specific objective: to shoot pied kingfisher. Now what is interesting is the bird in the above picture was about 120 yards away. I fixed the Kowa x20-60 zoom eyepiece to my scope and attached the camera to it. The light was not very good with grey and overcast conditions. So the above is the original shot and below is the same shot cropped and tweaked a little. Amazing really. Another huge vote of confidence for the new rig. Basically I can get a passable shot with the eyepiece zoomed in the x60 region. I wasn't able to do this with my previous rig.

Finally a Great Egret in breeding plumage. It looks quite strange because its legs are foreshortened by the rice plants. What a beauty and once more the bird was about 100 metres away.

No comments:

Post a Comment