Friday 25 March 2011

The Similan Islands

Pied Imperial Pigeon
Ducula bicolor
นกลุมพูขาว
Ko Miang, Similan Islands
24.03.11

We had a very enjoyable 48 hours on the Similan Islands, Ko Si or Miang to be precise, partly driven by a wish to see Nicobar Pigeon and simple curiosity to visit Thailand's most westerly islands in the Andaman Sea. The islands' principal birding claim is they are one of few places where Nicobar Pigeons can be seen. I saw three early Thursday morning but alas the light was so poor, plus they were in a heavily wooded area, that I couldn't photograph them....well I did try but the results had to be deleted! They are really beautiful birds, unmistakably pigeons and in colour not so very different from feral pigeons, but a close look reveals a stockier bird, dark blue green plumage, hackles on the neck, striking white uppertail coverts and a sort of ridge at the base of the bill. I watched them foraging in the buildings around the national park headquarters very early in the morning. I wouldn't say they were a particularily easy find. I don't think it was as easy as step off the boat and there they are. They seem to come out first thing and last thing only but they do appear to be reasonably people friendly. 
Hill Myna
Gracula religiosa
นกขุนทอง
Ko Miang, Similan Islands
24.03.11

The one bird species you will see for sure is Pied Imperial Pigeon, a very beautiful bird indeed. I also saw Green Imperial Pigeon. I managed another lifer in the form of Hill Myna which I saw Thursday and which I really wasn't expecting. This was a difficult shot as I was shooting into very bright sunlight 

Otherwise a number of White-bellied Sea-eagles, Brahminy Kites and one unidentified raptor, a big, dark brown bird, like an aquila eagle but I wasn't set up so couldn't get a shot of it and wouldn't want to call it. Add in an Asian Koel and lots of Collared Kingfisher.


Pied Imperial Pigeon
Ducula bicolor
นกลุมพูขาว
Ko Miang, Similan Islands
24.03.11


White-bellied Sea-eagle
Haliaeetus leucogaster
นกลุออก
Ko Miang, Similan Islands
24.03.11

I have to say I am very pleased with this shot of two White-bellied Sea Eagles. It shows the real potential of digiscoping. I attach the original file. Now if I could zoom as well as pan and focus together with a cable release in one hand ...... then I reckon I might serve up a bumper shot. Maybe the key is a remote cable release! Watch this space!


These islands will not be high on most birders list of Thai birding sites. They are easy enough to get to but I reckon a boat would really be necessary if you wanted to have an extensive tour plus there are restrictions on landing on some islands and parts thereof. Ko Miang, where we stayed, was simply not accessible other than for the small strip of land around the camp site and facilities. The main attraction appears to be the marine life and the presence of dive ships in and around the islands testifies to that. I should also add that facilities are pretty basic though let me stress perfectly adequate. The beaches are pristine and the sea is beautiful blue just like in the postcard shots and it is teeming with pretty tropical fish. So these islands might make for an interesting interlude...... Be warned the whole character of the place changes between 11:00h and 15:00h when the day trippers' speed boats arrive and set down their charges for lunch; from what I could see and hear most of the visitors appeared to be Russian and some of the women might as well have been naked! Not what one expects to see on beaches in Thailand!


No comments:

Post a Comment