Sunday 10 July 2011

Pheasant-tailed Jacana
Hydrophasianus chirugus
นกอีแจว
It being my birthday today, 53 years young, I had the pleasure of my wife and son for the afternoon and we went birding and in fact did a little tour. Our first stop in the early afternoon was Huay Mai Teng Reservoir where there were no birds of interest; no River Lapwing to be seen. We had a very pleasant lunch in one of the restaurants near the reservoir and I have to say it was simple,traditional Thai but it was delicious and cheap. Good to know that there is good food nearby.


Pheasant-tailed Jacana
Hydrophasianus chirugus
นกอีแจว

With the prospect of big birds at Khao Yai we decided to head cross country after our lunch, basically due east, about a one hour drive through interesting open country arriving just after 16:00h. I headed straight to where I saw storks and pelicans yesterday. However just before it I picked out a Pheasant-tailed Jacana in a large pond and that became the day's photo-opportunity. If only it had been 10 metres closer! This fellow was joined by a shorter tailed female. What delightful birds!


Pheasant-tailed Jacana
Hydrophasianus chirugus
นกอีแจว


The real story today was once more big birds, specifically a count of about 450 Painted Stork on the ground at  18:25h in the fading light. Let me also add not a sign of a Spot-billed Pelican today after yesterday's 300 +. The Painted Stork count is low as many of the birds were obscured in the ditches of the distant fish pond. In other words I believe there were significantly more than this number. Quite a spectacle once more.

What a lovely way to celebrate my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment