Thursday 28 July 2011

Wednesdays

White-throated Kingfisher
 I have a busy schedule here in Thailand with work occupying me on weekdays from about 7:00 am to 17:00h. I teach a number of additional classes in the evenings and also on Saturday mornings. Add in a family with a 2 year old son and another baby on the way! So I grab every opportunity for birding that I can and most Wednesdays from about 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm I head to the nearby rice paddy. It's a massive area and because it is flat there is generally some sort of breeze. At the moment the weather and lighting conditions can be highly variable with a lot of rain the norm right now together with humidity and overcast conditions. Not ideal photography conditions.

Plain Prinia

Just nice to be out birding and to be able to take a few pics of the more common species - a rather worn White-throated Kingfisher, a Plain Prinia and Red-wattled Lapwing and Blue-tailed Bee-eater. I am enjoying my digiscoping at the moment as I am getting some  decent shots thanks to understanding the histogram!
  - 
Red-wattled Lapwing

Blue-tailed Bee-eater

The highlight yesterday evening was flushing a Black Bittern from some long reeds. This is a bird I really want to shoot as it is a real beauty, black with yellow facial streaks extending to its back. I think I need to get set up in the hide and wait for it to show!

No comments:

Post a Comment