Sunday 20 November 2011

Pak Thale & Wat Khao Takhrao

Black-tailed Godwits
20.11.11

I made it down to Pak Thale, Phetchburi province this afternoon but dipped out on all the biggies. Not a problem as I have seen most of the sought after species: I am looking for Eastern Curlew and Long-billed Dowitcher, neither obliged today. I would also like to put a tick against Grey-wattled Lapwing which has been reported in the area. Not today. So no Spoon-billed Sandpiper today but it has been reported on a regular basis since mid-October, with a maximum count of three birds. Basically I just didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to seek it out. I couldn't see it in the usual places so I headed on in pursuit of other birds. As a resident here in the Kingdom I have that luxury!

Black-headed Ibis
20.11.11

On my way to Pak Thale I made a short detour  via the Wat Norng Blah Lai area in search of eagles. Not a sign of anything other than a female Pied Harrier and a Black-shouldered Kite in this area; not even a Black Kite. There was, however, a very large flock of Black-tailed Godwits ( 400 -500 birds I would estimate) sitting in a recently sewn rice field and they were good enough to give me a sort of fly past, which very clearly shows their key fieldmarks. (An update 25.11.11:per Phil Round and Nick Upton there has been a confirmed sighting of a Slender-billed Vulture last week in the Norng Blah Lai area -  now that is a mega!)

Black-headed Ibis - juvenile
20.11.11

There were plenty of shore birds, gulls and terns in and around Pak Thale. The resident flock of Curlews was as close to the main road as I have ever seen it. On the basis of the information on www.thaibirding.com I headed to the nearby village of Bang Kaew, near a large temple, Wat Komnaram. Bingo! Five Black-headed Ibises with a mixture of Painted Stork and Grey Herons and in their midst about 100 Garganey. A juvenile Brahminy Kite was buzzing the birds. The birds were just too far away to get  decent shots but I did my best. There was also a small flock of Brown-headed Gulls mixed up with some Black-naped terns.

Garganey
20.11.11

Brown-headed Gull
20.11.11

Garganey
20.11.11

I then headed on for the Wat Khao Takhroa area, about 20 km to the north of Pak Thale. A feast of waterfowl. It would be impossible for me to provide an estimate but easily in excess of one thousand ducks, large numbers of Garganey and also Northern Pintail. However the sun was setting and it was in my eyes plus most of the birds were a considerable distance away. So even with the scope, making out IDs was difficult and photography was simply out of the question. I am not sure how many, if any, of these duck were Lesser-whistling, the more common resident species. Add in 200-250 Painted Stork, many Grey Herons and Egrets and at least one Black-headed Ibis........I know where I am going this weekend unless news reaches me of a mega somewhere else. I also know where I would be today if I wasn't at work!
Common Snipe
Ratchaburi
19.11.11

On Saturday afternoon I managed a few hours in the rice paddy in Ratchaburi and noted a Watercock, a male and female Pied Harrier and an Eastern Marsh harrier in amongst good numbers of Wood Sandpiper and Common Snipe plus one brief view of a Thick-billed Warbler announced by its call. 

Trithemis Pallidinervis?
Ratchaburi
19.11.11


Lastly I received my new Nikon P6000 from the US of A. The P5100 has done a good job as a stand-in these last few weeks but I am mightily relieved to have a P6000. I really like this camera for general use and it is outstanding for digiscoping.



No comments:

Post a Comment