Monday 5 December 2011

Grey-headed Lapwing

I am pleased to report that this morning the much sought after Grey-headed Lapwing obliged for me in the local rice paddy in Ratchaburi. No less than three of them, very beautiful but very shy unlike the more common Red-wattled Lapwing. Alas they didn't pose for my camera. If the distribution maps in the field guides are correct Ratchaburi town should be about their western limit. They were in newly sewn rice paddy in an area I have only recently discovered - so I hit pay dirt with Thai lifer ⌗304. This once more emphasises what I often say: you don't really have to travel very far in Thailand to see great birds. Of note too among the Red-wattled Lapwings, Painted Snipe and Wood Sandpipers were the first Marsh Sandpipers of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment