Thursday 8 September 2011

More Blossom-headed Parakeets

A cancellation meant I was able to snatch a quick visit to Huay Mai Teng Reservoir this evening and it didn't disappoint. 12 Blossom-headed Parakeets were in attendance tonight but I couldn't get a decent shot of them, even though I was closer to them than before. Very poor light, a hint of rain and a lot of wind meant the branches were flying about. However it was good to observe them and I have an idea of where they roost. I had a good look at the parakeets in the hope that there might have been other species in their midst but not as far as I was able to see. As I observed the parakeets I picked up the movement of a nearby Barred Buttonquail on the ground and for once got a decent look at this species; a real beauty with quite standout rufous underparts and black throat patch. A number of Scarlet-backed Flowerpeckers were in the area today and a lot of Green Bee-eaters. There was also a lot of Pipit activity and I was looking at birds and thinking: are you Richard's, you do look as if you have a very stout bill and a longer tail?!  More work needed before I can make any claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment