Thursday 8 September 2011

Midweek Brief


Buoyed by last week's success with Blossom-headed Parakeet I returned to Huay Mai Teng Reservoir late Wednesday with high hopes. On arrival I was met by 2 River Lapwing at the main launch area and I drove to the main action area just in time to catch the parakeets. Once more there were ten birds flying in a very tight formation but they were off before I had really arrived! Unmistakeable however with their beautiful bright green plumage, long tails and blossom-coloured heads.

The area was busy with Green Bee-eaters and Paddyfield Pipits and rather a lot of Red-wattled Lapwing. I managed to flush a few quail but these guys are just to quick for me to get a decent sight of them; Small Buttonquail I rather fancy but that is really a guess. Light was poor so I was pleased to get a couple of shots and in fact both these shots were taken in the final light of the day at ISO 200. So acceptable results given the light.


For those interested in migratory species Dave Gandy's blog is the place to head for reports of latest observations in and around Bangkok. I haven't seen anything in and around Ratchaburi which is probably more a reflection on me than the birds' status!

No comments:

Post a Comment