Sunday 23 October 2011

Back to the Patch

White-throated Kingfisher 
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir  22.10.11

I was like an excited little boy yesterday mid-afternoon when I headed out to Huay Mai Teng Reservoir, my local patch. I had a working camera! That it started to rain almost immediately and didn't really let up thereafter was a minor inconvenience. Not much else to say really. It was very quiet on the bird front and very wet and dark. Rain and flooding are very much the order of the day here in Thailand but out west it is just wet with no major concerns about flooding right now.

Water levels at the reservoir were very high once more. The birding highlight was a Bronze-winged Jacana family, two adults with two juvs. Too far away in bad light to be able to shoot. So I had to satisfy myself with this White-throated Kingfisher who didn't seem to be bothered by my proximity.

Sometimes I have a  particular species on my mind when I go birding. Grey-headed Lapwing often features at the moment as it is on my most wanted list and should be there or thereabouts at this time of the year. Raptors too, and yesterday the bird I rather fancied was Black Baza. Not a sign of a raptor of any description yesterday, but about 20,000 Black Bazas, yup twenty thousand, were counted yesterday at Chumphon! Clearly I am bit too far north for Black Bazas!

Whatever great to be birding locally again.


No comments:

Post a Comment