Monday 30 April 2012

Mae Wong National Park

Rufous-throated Partridge
Arborophila longirostris
นกดระทาดงคอสีแสด
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

I took my wife and kids into Mae Wong National Park mid-afternoon, yesterday, Sunday 29th April 2012 and we made it as far as the Krating viewpoint. It was boiling hot but spectaculr views and a breeze which made it comfortable. There were a few birds about too as it was late in the afternoon and I managed to photograph Rufescent Prinia and Flavescent Bulbul (photograhs below) which were fairly abundant and active. Feeding on bananas I managed to see a Streaked Spiderhunter with its long curved bill and heavily streaked breast, lifer #320. Alas it did not hang around for the photograph and possibly it was too far away to shoot. Always nice to add a new bird to the list. 

Rufous-throated Partridge
Arborophila longirostris
นกดระทาดงคอสีแสด
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

On the subject of my list I decided to do a bit of cleaning up. I had a record of Rufescent Prinia on my list from, Khao Yoi, Phetchburi province, from August 2009; I really think that is a dodgy record partly on account of habitat and partly on account of my inexperience; I accept it could be wrong, it could also be correct but I would prefer to have complete confidence in the record. So this Rufescent Prinia is the new record, #118, and there is a photograph below to support the record.


Silver-eared Laughingthrush
Trochalopteron melanostigma
นกกะรางหัวแดง
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

When I drove into Mae Wong National Park very early this morning I was planning on heading to the road head at Chong Yen and finding Rusty-naped Pittas which have been seen recently and photographed as reported by Dave Gandy and others. However it took me until 07จจh to get a permit as the rangers at park  HQ were still asleep. I had to settle for a small flock of four Red-billed Blue Magpies rummaging around the buildings.  I also used some of  the time to stroll along the river bed in pursuit of Crested Kingfisher, but sadly drew a blank, although a Black-capped Kingfisher perched for a while. (I should add however that a Crested Kingfisher was seen here the following day.)

Rufous-browed Flycatcher
Anthipes solitaris
นกจับแมลงคอขาวหน้าแดง
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

Armed with my permit I proceeded to Chong Yen.  A female and then a male and female Kalij Pheasant crossed the road as I drove but didn't linger for photographs. As I neared the Krating viewpoint once more  I saw Rufescent Prinias and lots of Flavescent Bulbuls.

Small Niltava - female
Niltava macgrigoriae
นกนิลตวาเล๊ก
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

So to Chong Yen where I spoke to the rangers and explained I had a hide and wanted to photograph birds. A few minutes later a very helpful ranger took me down the main trail and showed me where to set up; as I was doing this a Red-headed Trogon perched about twenty feet to my right as if to check me out and then flew off. The ranger kindly left me with some meal worms and about five minutes later I had four Rufous-throated Partridges in front of me, about 20 yards away, feasting on the worms oblivious to  my proximity. I have to say it was not "fill your boots" time as the light was challenging; the birds were alternating between the shade of the forest and strong open sunlight; plus they were feeding so moving. However I am more than pleased with the results.A minor detail is this was lifer #331.

Rufous-throated Partridge
Arborophila longirostris
นกดระทาดงคอสีแสด
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

Next I rather fancy a male Large Niltava flew in and perched too near to my hide for digiscoping. It was resplendent in shining electric blue with some light blue on the tail coverts and its wings. Its size appeared larger than a normal flycatcher but it was gone before long. One that got away, sadly. However in came a pair of  Silver-eared Laughingthrush hopping gingerly about, as if sensing something was up. Beauties , as you can see above, and lifer #332.

Small Niltava - female
Niltava macgrigoriae
นกนิลตวาเล๊ก
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

Then it just seemed to happen. In came some Small Niltavas, a male and female, and they played around right under my scope. Once again it was much more difficult than simply pointing and shooting. These guys were grabbing the worms and then perching on a nearby branch, in the shade, then coming back in for more. So I moved the log into the sun, repositioned it laterally so I could see both long sides, then prefocussed on the centre and waited. I learned a lot about photography in a short period of time this morning! The Small Niltavas are quite exquisite and even though the male has the shining blue feathers and looks I rather like the female and her subtle, chalk blue neck band. Looks as though it was added as an afterthought. Lifer #333.
Small Niltava - female
Niltava macgrigoriae
นกนิลตวาเล๊ก
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

Next in came another sublime beauty, Rufous-browed Flycatcher, lifer #334 and finally a pair of  Black-throated Laughingthrush. It was a magnificent two hours.

Small Niltava - male
Niltava macgrigoriae
นกนิลตวาเล๊ก
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

I have to say the rangers at Chong Yen are a birder's dream: they clearly love birds and wild life, they know their stuff, they know what's about and they are very helpful. They provided me with worms to lure in the birds.I must also say how much I enjoyed our two nights in Khlong Lan, the nearest centre to the park It has an excellent restaurant, "The Three Children Family", ( ครัวสามพีน้อง); the fried fish is delicious, as was all the food we ate and it is also really good value; elsewhere there is a decent "chao mun gai" restuarant ( chicken and rice) and the market also sells plenty of cheap eats. We scored with 2 kilos of delicious fresh mangoes for 10 baht. We stayed at the Makbun Resort and paid 500 THB for a small bungalow with air conditioning. It was hot so we really needed the air conditioning. The locals all seemed incredibly friendly and easy going. It's really a great place and you can even get there by direct coach from Bangkok. I will return ...............!
Black-throated Laughingthrush
Dryonastes chinensis
นกกะรางคอดำ
Mae Wong National Park
30.04.12

A sad and troubling post script. The Thai government has recently approved a proposal to build a dam here. I am not going to make any comment beyond this as I do not know any of the facts. But it is troubling and it threatens to fundamentally alter a wildlife area that has been carefully restored by the Department of National Parks. I would welcome more information so if you can point me in the right direction, please do and maybe then I will make a more considered statement.

Flavescent Bulbul
Pycnonotus flavescens
นกปรอดหัวตาขาว
Mae Wong National Park
29.04.12


Rufescent Prinia
Prinia rufescens
นกกระจิบหญัาสีขัางแดง
Mae Wong National Park
29.04.12


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the pictures.

      Delete
  2. I just came back from Mae Wong yesterday. Didn't have a chance to see the partridge since it was raining most of the time but overall a really nice trip I had. Mae Wong is still a great place for holiday.

    ReplyDelete