Sunday 8 April 2012

The Reservoir


The bird of the day without any shadow of doubt was Rain Quail. About 25 of them came out to feed in the late afternoon at Huay Mai Teng Reservoir, Ratchaburi. I managed a couple of decentish shots but  I feel I should have done better. I was in the hide and they were reasonably close. All I can say in my defence is they were on the move in a feeding frenzy and not exactly posing for me.


There were a few more Small Pratincoles in the same place and I rather fancy this is because there has been rain recently. I'd estimate at least six and possibly as many as ten. Likewise there were good numbers of Savannah Nightjars, at least four, and I reckon I'll get a shot of these birds in the next few weeks.


Elsewhere on the southern side of the reservoir I saw seven Pheasant-tailed Jacanas, more than I can ever recall seeing before; there were two Bronze-winged Jacanas, a single Marsh Sandpiper and a single, rather worn, Brown Shrike.









Some reservoir shotd 
shot with my "new" Canon FD 24 mm lens

No comments:

Post a Comment