Saturday 21 April 2012

Sunset at the Reservoir

Small Pratincole
Glareola lactea
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir, Ratchaburi, 21.04.12

I often tell my students that there are three seasons in Thailand and some bright spark usually takes the bate and tells me: "Teacher, cool, hot and rainy. " And I say: "Hot, hotter and hottest". It usually gets a laugh. Well it is the hottest season right now and to be honest I don't much fancy going out birding in temperatures just below 40℃. However I really want to be able to report the arrival of a first River Lapwing at the reservoir in April so that was my hope today. None today, but at the main launch area 8 Small Pratincoles were on the ground and that is the most I have seen this year. I don't recall seeing Small Pratincoles here before although I have seen them at many different locations at the site. Much the same as before: 20 Rain Quail or thereabouts and 3 delightful baby Red-wattled Lapwing and lots of Oriental Pratincole. It was lovely late afternoon as it didn't cloud over and I enjoyed a pleasant sunset.




No comments:

Post a Comment