Tuesday 5 October 2010

Punta Taytay, Bacolod CIty, Negros Occidental

Grey-tailed Tattler
Punta Taytay, Bacolod City
Negros Occidental
05.10.10

I had a couple of hours on the mudflats at Punta Taytay today......very muddy and dirty but great fun as there were some nice birds about: a lot of grey-tailed tattlers in particular which surprised me as they are relatively rare in Thailand, very much passage migrants. The field guide indicates records of tattlers from August to May in the Philippines and there must have been a small flock feeding on the mudflats this afternoon.
Intermediate Egret
Punta Taytay, Bacolod City
Negros Occidental
05.10.10

I rather like this intermediate egret which was hanging out with some little egrets, quite distinct with its shortish, yellow bill. A few collared kingfishers and an abundance of whiskered terns, a handful of whimbrels, possibly some curlews but I would need to take a closer look. Some pacific golden plovers and lesser and greater sand-plovers too. I hope to be back over the next few days.


Greater Sand-plover (top)
Grey-tailed Tattler (bottom)
Punta Taytay, Bacolod City
Negros Occidental
05.10.10
I think it is a greater sand-plover but it could easily be a lesser. I think this bird has longer legs and a bigger bill. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment