Saturday 2 October 2010

Some Common Birds:Puerto Rivas Ibaba, Balanga City, Bataan Province

Yellow bittern
Puerto Rivas Ibaba
02.10.10
I am indebted to Romy Ocon of PBPF for clarifying that my tern was in fact a whiskered tern. I am also indebted to Mike Lu of the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines for steering me to the fish ponds behind the cemetery in Puerto Rivas Ibaba in Balanga City where I took these photos this morning. A very noisy and seemingly confiding striated grassbird triggered me to get my rig assembled. No sooner was I ready than off it flew! A lifer no less! Beautiful feathers on its back.

White-browed Crake
Puerto Rivas Ibaba
02.10.10

Plenty of shorebirds too but not enough light for decent photographs plus most were too far away. I think I will go back for some more this afternoon when the light should be better for photography. A pair of brahminy kites scared off a lot of birds. Some beautiful little grebes swam past and in the distance I saw  a little heron and a purple heron.


Wood Sandpiper
Puerto Rivas Ibaba
02.10.10

Purple Heron
Puerto Rivas Ibaba
02.10.10


A great site. I must go down later in the afternoon when the tide is out. Might be very interesting. The people are also really friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment