Tuesday 5 October 2010

Sibacan, Balanga City, Bataan Province

A juvenile Brahminy Kite with loving parent looking on
Sibacan
Balnaga City
04.10.10

Most of my information about birdwatching comes from two excellent volumes entitled Birdwatching in the Philippines, a joint publication of the Department of Tourism and Wild Bird Club of the Philippines. The Balanga City map shows Sibacan as a recommended site and the book describes it as "a combination of grasslands, fishponds and wetlands". So with only an hour to kill before heading by bus to Manila I decided to take a quick early morning spin down there. It was a great hour. I don't think I saw any new species but I really enjoyed this site and the locals, very friendly people, told me they are expecting thousands of birds over the next few weeks. It might be a little unnerving for some because you actually have to go through  peoples' houses to get to the ponds! In fact, forget any prospect of discreetly slipping in and out unnoticed. Life is lived to the full out on the narrow streets and lanes of Sibican, the water pump acting as a public shower.  You may feel like the Pied Piper as the kids follow and make such a lot of noise that most of the birds retreat!

Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron
Sibacan, Balanga City
04.10.10

I watched some brahmny kites from a distance and managed to get a couple of pictures. I think I am going to need to do a little work with exposure because my images are too light. In the same area I saw 2 great cormorants, 2 grey herons and I reckon the picture above is a juvenile black-crowned night heron. I have asked for confirmation on PBPF. Hundreds of beautiful little egrets too with a few intermediates.

Grey Heron
Sibacan, Balanga City
04.10.10



Little Egret
Sibacan, Balanga City
04.10.10


This is a huge area and worthy of exploration. I did the equivalent of sticking my big toe into the water this morning but I am glad I did and I hope I can return. I have to say I am really impressed with the birding possibilities in this small area. I am starting to think that wild birds might be one of the Philippines' greatest attractions. If nothing else the birds bring me into contact with decent, kindly and simple people who are mildly interested in what  I am doing if not a little amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment