Friday 15 October 2010

Valencia, Dumaguete, Negros Oriental

In some respects a disappointing day, well a couple of hours in the afternoon, but I did see a crimson sunbird for the first time, a Philippine tailorbird, some Philippine bulbuls, some brown shrikes, some olive backed sunbirds and then ..... some controversy!  Is it a red-keeled or Visayan flowerpecker? My guide, Leonard, assured me the Visayan was a distinct species and I must say it looked different from the red-keeled I saw at Mambukal at the beginning of the week. The field guide does not separate them. Interesting. Feel free to comment if you can offer any elucidation on this major controversy!

The disappointment was in not seeing any owls. I went armed with a torch but they did not materialise and as it was raining and dark I decided to give up at 7:15pm...... I have a wife and a young son! I was hoping to see the Philippine Scops Owl and my guide told me it comes in every night outside his garden at about 7:00 pm. I'd like to see more owls. I have seen a few of the smaller, more common diurnal species in Thailand but I want to see other species. Not tonight.

The crimson sunbird is very common in the forest area here and the male is a stunning looking bird and quite unmistakable thanks to its very striking crimson breast. A lovely lifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment