Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Local Rice Paddy, Ratchaburi

Indian Nightjar
Caprimulgus asiaticus
Ratchaburi
19.04.11


It's been a while since I visited the local rice paddy. My preferred local site of late has been the reservoir. I had an unexpected spare couple of hours today between 4:00pm and 6:00pm so I decided to stay very local. I had a choice to make however: pied kingfishers or the rice paddy proper for come what may. I chose the latter and was not disappointed.

Asian Golden Weaver
Ploceus hypoxanthus
Ratchaburi
19.04.11

No major surprises. The rice crop is well advanced and is a welcome haven to the usual suspects: lots of Openbills, Chinese and Javan Pond Herons, Asian Pied Starling, Red-wattled Lapwing and lots of Asian Golden Weavers, dramatic looking birds.

With a rain storm coming in and light fading rapidly I managed to capture the above Indian Nightjar. What a beauty! If only I had decent light!!!At least I got one usable shot! A quality hour on my doorstep!

No comments:

Post a Comment