Tuesday 28 June 2011

A Quick Trip to the Reservoir

Little Egret
Egretta garzetta
นกยางเปีย
I was mightily pleased to learn that I wasn't required to attend school after 12 noon today due to an electrical outage. Only one thing to do and one place to go: Huay Mai Teng Reservoir. On arrival there were 4 River Lapwing near the launch area and I have no doubt they wouldn't have been there at this time at weekends. I managed a couple of shots but I then managed to scare them away by trying to get in close. In fact I was furious with myself because the plan was to cash in on the light! 

River Lapwing
Vanellus duvaucelii
นกกระแดหาด

On the subject of disturbance and the like soon after I arrived some council workers arrived to erect warning signage at the entrance to the launch area: "DANGER" signs forbidding children from swimming. I rather fear there has been some sort of tragedy. Elsewhere I noticed a new bright red and white barrier on the road at quite a sharp bend; on the other side of the barrier is a deep drop into a water chute from the reservoir. I rather fear a vehicle went through it, another tragedy. Anyway I was the only source of disturbance to the birds today and in consequence I missed out on a great photo opportunity.
Zitting Cisticola
Cisticola juncidis
นกยอดขัาวหางแพนลาย

I counted two Small Pratincoles at different locations around the site on my short trip. I also managed some shots of these exuberant Zitting Cisticolas and I also managed a few shots of the above Little Egret; in breeding plumage this bird always reminds me of a classic image of Marilyn Monroe, you know the one where she is holding down her little white frock.

All photographs digiscoped and taken at Huay Mai Teng Reservoir 29.06.11

No comments:

Post a Comment