Saturday 11 June 2011

Seven River Lapwing


A morning visit to Huay Mai Teng Reservoir, Ratchaburi, revealed no less than seven River Lapwing in and around the eastern side of the reservoir. How pleasing after last week's blank. It's also good to be able to report numbers are progressively increasing. Last year's high was eleven.

I am not completely satisfied with my shots. The early morning light means quite slow shutter speeds and the birds do tend to be on the move.  By the time the light is better the birds have usually dispersed. I have no doubt that I will get some great shots of these birds in the coming months.

A breeding Little Ringed Plover did oblige. The "breeding" bit makes it sound almost Monty Pythonesque, as in "bleeding".

.

There was a good showing of Small & Oriental Pratincoles, including a couple of Small chicks. I headed off in vain pursuit of Chinese Francolin. I got my new hide set up, played its call and got a positive response. However I couldn't draw the bird into range or out into the open.




Teaching commitments and breakfast drew me back to town in the morning. I have to say the light was fantastic so I headed back later in the afternoon. No sign of Chinese Francolin but I couldn't resist these Lesser Whistling Duck. Difficult to get close to these fellows. There were plenty of the more common birds around as well as three local Thai photographers that I showed to the Small Pratincole site. As always good to see people visiting this area on account of the birds.



I am a little disappointed to say I haven't managed a decent shot from my new hide! No doubt use of the hide requires a little skill as well as some luck. Maybe as well as playback I'll need to organise some bird snacks! I have to say the weather was great today with great sunlight, high clouds and a strong breeze keeping everything very comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment