Thursday 19 May 2011

A Quick Half Hour at the Rice Paddy

Streaked Weaver
Ploceus manyar
นกกระจาบอกลาย

Wednesday's beginning of the  new school year means busy, busy, busy. Birding is going to have to play second fiddle! But I got out and I managed to shoot a couple of Streaked Weavers and a Plain Prinia, reasonable shots. The above Weaver is probably a female, (though it could be a non-breeding male) and below, obscured by a branch, is the male in breeding plumage. Alas I don't have the technical knowledge to remove the offending branch and I don't have the time or patience right now to learn! I was just happy to be able to snatch 30 minutes or so and capture a couple of images.

 Streaked Weaver
Ploceus manyar
นกกระจาบอกลาย

The Weavers are usually in flocks and create very distinctive nests, like lanterns, in reeds. They are very active and quite noisy but as you can see they are really striking looking.

Streaked Weaver Nest

Plain Prinia
Prinia Inornata
นกกระจิบหญ้าสีเรียน


This Plain Prinia was looking on at the antics and squabbles of the Weavers and its distinctive chirp invited me to photograph it. Around me I saw a Watercock, Lesser-whistling Duck, Yellow Bitterns, a White-throated Kingfisher, Egrets, Openbills, not bad really for a gentle half hour after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment