Sunday 15 May 2011

The Reservoir Strikes Back.....

Osprey
Pandion Haliaetus
เหยี่ยวออสเปร

Quite simply a fantastic afternoon at the reservoir today with His Lordship, the Osprey, obliging for me. I can't get over the size of his talons. You would have laughed watching me crawl on hands and knees to get into position for this shot without scaring the bird off. As my friend Tom says of birding at Huay Mai Teng, it's a good place because you can get to see and photograph the birds.


Cattle egret
Bubulcus ibis
นกยางควาย

The real story today was not the Osprey but the presence of at least 3 Chinese Francolins who were calling to each other. I managed to see one, a  black and white dog-tooth breast against the gloom before  it popped back into the scrub. A lifer no less. The incredibly loud calls were really distinctive and from listening to recordings on Xeno Canto I am completely sure I have the right ID. Alas a really heavy rainfall closed in at this point and brought the day's proceedings to an abrupt end:  as I was parked on a dirt track and there would have been a possibility of getting stranded, ie stuck, such was the deluge, I legged it. I rather fancy I will be back at the same place tomorrow morning.......
Red-wattled Lapwing
Vanellus indicus
บกกระแตแต้แว้ด

Lots of good birds today: an Oriental Darter, Barred Buttonquail, Indochinese Bushlark, Small Pratincole, Oriental Pratincole plus all the regulars including Cattle Egret and Red-wattled Lapwing. I just love Huay Mai Teng reservoir, it never disappoints.

Osprey
Pandion Haliaetus
เหยี่ยวออสเปร

Dragonfly: trithemis aurora

No comments:

Post a Comment