Thursday 10 February 2011

Close to Home

Coppersmith Barbet
Don Tako, Ratchaburi
09.02.11

I did my bit for the kingdom of birds yesterday at school. A colleague told me a small bird was in one of the lower grade classrooms and that the kids were chasing it around and making it feel scared and nervous. So we went to have a look and found a little sparrow  on a ledge in a corner, clearly petrified. I took off my shirt and used it as a net to catch the bird and then managed to pick it up and release it. Most of the kids know of my interest in birds but I don't think they understood it extended to taking off my shirt!

Pied Kingfisher
Don Tako, Ratchaburi
09.02.11


Yesterday afternoon the pied kingfishers were back but a group of small boys were intent on splashing about in the stream so that scared the birds away. I managed a couple of shots. Looks as if the kingfishers are nesting  nearby so maybe a bit of stealth and fieldcraft might enable me to get into position for some decent shots........when my scope comes back. I am amazed that we have 4 species of kingfisher on our doorstep: common, collared, black-capped and now pied. 

With the boys creating mayhem in the river I headed towards the main rice paddy. Flocks of black drongos, plain-backed sparrows and a coppersmith barbet "hooting" in a nearby tree. With the scope I might have managed a decent shot. I proceeded on into the rice paddy and there I watched a black-shouldered kite hover in its very distinctive manner. And in came a male pied harrier for a bit of supper, as ever sending everything scurrying. Sadly too far away to photograph. What a mighty bird!

Black-shouldered Kite
Don Tako, Ratchaburi
09.02.11


The day before's eagle remains unidentified, not very good shots. Tom agrees it is an eagle so we can record an eagle sp. for the local patch and I must keep looking! No sign of it yesterday evening however.

No comments:

Post a Comment