Friday 18 February 2011

Some Shorebirds, Gulls and Terns

Great Crested Tern
Bang Kao 18.02.11

When I first visited Bang Kao in pursuit of Ruddy Shelduck I knew I would be back regularily. It is a perfect location to go with a small baby boy plus his mother likes it too. I wouldn't describe my wife as a non-birder because she loves looking at different species and has an outstanding eye: she has spotted many birds for me. However the beach and the pleasant seascape are added attractions to the birds.

Friday was a public holiday, Makabucha Day (วันมาฆาบูชา), and we went for a family day out starting in Hua Hin where I met up with a few friends for some lunch. Makabucha Day marks the beginning of Buddhist Lent and commemorates the occasion soon after The Buddha's enlightenment when 1250 followers assembled spontaneously to hear his words of wisdom.

The pond where I twitched Ruddy Shelduck is no more and  is now a grazing area for cattle. However the beach has resident Malaysian Plovers and Sanderlings and they did not disappoint; more to the point about 250 Brown-headed gulls were parked on it. A closer look revealed 6 Great Crested Tern were in this group and I even managed a picture.

Malaysian Plover
Bang Kao 18.02.11


Sanderling
Bang Kao 18.02.11


Brown-headed Gulls with a Great Crested Tern just above the horizon
Bang Kao 18.02.11

Intermediate Egret
Bang Kao 18.02.11


Sanderling
Bang Kao 18.02.11


Brown-headed Gull - First Year
Bang Kao 18.02.11

Brown-headed Gull - First Year
Bang Kao 18.02.11

1 comment: