Saturday 26 February 2011

Indochinese Buhlark & Small Pratincoles

Indochinese Bushlark (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11

I had a really pleasant afternoon at Huay Mai Teng Reservoir today. I thought the highlight was seeing a small flock of Small Pratincoles but there is a possibility that I saw and photographed an Indochinese Bushlark, which would be a lifer. I have posted the photo on BirdForum confirmation. (Update: my friend Tom confirmed this as an Indochinese....phew(!) and this has been reconfirmed by Viator: check out his fantastic galleries).

Of course I need to come clean and declare that I dismissed this bird as a Paddyfield Pipit at the time I took the photograph. Clearly the bill is wrong for a Pipit. The bird is about the same size as the Pipit and I had photographed one of these about five minutes earlier (see below) and I  assumed this was the same species. So we will see what the experts say.


Small Pratincole (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11

I am very happy with the Small Pratincoles, exotic looking little birds. I would say at least 25 birds in the flock but they were hard to count as most were perfectly disguised against a rocky background.......and I didn't want to disturb them. In the same area there was a yellow bittern and a little ringed plover.

Small Pratincoles (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11


Earlier a pair of Bronze-winged Jacanas  posed a little for me. I used the truck for cover and was able to get good views of the birds as they fed .

Bronze-winged Jacana (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11

I saw two Common Kestrels in different parts of the site and an Opsrey flew over. I think there might have been a Darter as well as something that suggested cormorant flew over but the shape was different with a suggestion of a fan tail. I'll just need to be vigilant next time. Plus all the other usual species. All in all a great afternoon.
Paddyfield Pipit (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11


Eastern Stonechat - Female (EOS)
Huay Mai Teng Reservoir
26.02.11

No comments:

Post a Comment